Search This Blog

Monday, May 2, 2016

Mezrachi Jews

A few weeks ago, in class we were talking about refugees. During the time after the 6 Day war, not only were there Arab refugees but there we also Jewish refugees from Arab countries like Iran and Iraq. These refugees were called Mezrachi Jews. My family on my dad's side are Mezrachi Jews. They immigrated from Iran and Iraq and played a big part in the Jews leaving. My great grandfather was the man to go to. He was able to forge passports and papers for the Jews to leave those countries which I think is pretty cool. During the trek from the Arab countries to Israel, the Jews weren't allowed to keep any property. When they left their homes they left everything behind. When the Mezrachi Jews came to Israel they were sorta thought of as second hand citizens who weren't as important as Ashkenazi Jews. Mezrachi Jews have had to deal with many hardships and still do today. Statistically, Mezrachi Jews are less educated and more likely to not go to University unlike Ashkenazi Jews. For myself, I grew up in a mixed household of Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jews so I never knew of this problem that Sephardic/Mezrachi Jews faced. I think that Mezrachi and Ashkenazi Jews are different because of culture but the same as Jews and people and Mezrachi Jews should have more of a voice in the society.

No comments:

Post a Comment